1. Location and geomorphology

Samiopoula is the largest islet surrounding Samos, where there is also a location named Samiopoula. It is located south of Samos, at a distance of 926 m. It has a maximum elevation of 153,18 m. Its circumference is estimated at approximately 2,5 km. Its maximum length is 1 mile and its width half a mile. To the west, we have the Katsakas or Agia Pelagia cove, where little ships approaching the island anchor, while, to the east, not very far from there, we have the Psalida cove, with a sandy beach and a beautiful sea ideal for tourists.

Some Samian writers identify the island with the Tragia island, near which Athenian and Samian fleets fought against each other in 439 BC. In his 1520 map, the Ottoman admiral Piri Reis referred to it as Arkoudonisi, while in 1677 the metropolite of Samos Iosif Georgeirinis reports that the aromatic flower, known in Samos as kores, also grows on the island. Other writers and travelers, such as Tournefort (1702), Guerin and Iacovos Ragavis (1854), also refer to Samiopoula.

2. General information

Up to 1865, it was used as a reception place for ships from plague stricken places that headed for Samos.

Both Samiopoula and Samos are a part of Greece since 1913, while in 1918 the island was integrated into the Communityof Spathari with a special decree.

Since 1957, Samiopoula has been conveyed by lease in perpetuity to the minor stock farmers Anastasios Kappos and Christodoulos Kamitsis.

In the 20th century censuses, 39 people had been registered in 1904, 58 in 1920 and 12 in 1951. Its population has been decreasing ever since. There are less than 10 residents nowadays, all descendants of the1957 leaseholders. There are few buildings on the island, only to serve the residents’ needs, although over the past years some let rooms have been built for tourists. At the small settlement of Samiopoula, there is the church of Agia Pelagia, mentioned in documents from 1789. There is also the small church of the Assumption with an underground cistern for the collection of rainwater, and remnants of buildings most probably used by monks. The little Assumption church has a built-in inscription with the date 1793. Both churches are dependencies (metochia) of the Megali Panagia monastery.

Vegetation on Samiopoula comprises mostly of shrub, while there is also a small piece of cultivable land with olive trees, fig trees, almond trees, locust trees and some vegetable for the residents’ needs. A pilot programme with solar accumulators has been carried out on the island, aiming at satisfying energy requirements.

Nowadays, Samiopoula is a place visited by tourists during the summertime. Small ships are used for daily transportations.